Old April 12th 06, 04:40 AM posted to misc.kids

Default Cost of Piano Lessons?

"Marie" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 19:05:24 -0700, "HCN" wrote:
Somewhere in the vicinity of $40 to $60 per hour, though she may start out
with 1/2 hour lessons. I started my boys with group lessons, which were
cheaper. One stuck with it (and now plays saxophone in high school, with
marching band in the fall), the other had no interest in in practicing.

Wow, 20 years ago my mom paid $5 for each weekly lesson. Half hour
from what I remember.
Marie

I think my mom paid something like $40 a month for one-on-one private
lessons in the teacher's home. This was half hour lessons once a week, per
child. My brothers both lost interest very quickly, and the youngest is
proud to be able to play the Hockey Night in Canada song... The other is
satisfied staying far away from the piano I had started around age 5
and this was also almost 18 years ago.
I was the one that stuck with piano for years and years - about 12 years of
lessons or so - and to this day, I'm still happy to sit down at the piano
every now and then. I was even lucky enough to get a piano of my own for
free, and it's beat up on the outside, but for $100 for the initial tuning
and once a year regular tuning for 4 years would bring it to concert. This
piano I have will do until my parents move into a senior's apartment one day
in the far future and have no room for the piano they have passed down to
me. Piano lessons = great. Any music lessons, for that matter are. I'd
like to start DS in piano soon, and I believe it was around the range of
$60-$70 a month, and this is for young children, in a group setting with
other young kids and a parent, once a week for a one hour lesson. This was
the price I was given from one place within the last year. No places that
I've called, or private lessons, are willing to take children under 6, and
the prices for private lessons (come age 6 or so) were around $50-$60 a
month. Half hour lessons. Once a week, in the teacher's home or studio. I
didn't dare call an actual music store that offers lessons... I was fearful
of the prices they'd have!