Old October 28th 05, 04:16 PM
Chris

Default Changing teachers mid year

Lesley wrote:
Anyone been through this? My seventh grader found out yesterday that
she's been assigned to a new teaching team. Our area has huge
population growth, and they've hired two new seventh grade teachers
(taking the school from 12 to 14 7th grade homerooms). They randomly
chose the students to be assigned to the new team, uprooting them from
current teachers, routines, friends.

No, we're not happy. Any suggestions on how to get through it?

When I started 6th grade I went through a similar experience.Due to
redistricting all of the kids from my elementary school's 5th grade
went to one middle school--except for 6 of us who were sent to a
different school. I did not want to go, hated the idea of it, thought
it was unfair, etc. I even went with my mom to the school
superintendent's office to complain. In the end, I went and it all
worked out fine. I ended up with a much wider group of friends, had
great teachers, and suffered no visible harm. Kids will adapt, they
will take their cues from you, too, so present this as an adventure, a
chance to be with new kids, the school year is only 1/4 or so over, so
there is a lot of time left to develop new relationships. If the
school district is smart the new teachers will be sensitive to the
changes and make efforts to really get the new class bonding.

chris