Old December 20th 03, 03:28 PM
Sue

Default How long to pump 3 oz?

I think you're doing fine, except I would stop all supplementing and let
Micheal nurse even if he seems hungry to you. Don't forget that this might
just be a good old growth spurt and if you don't let Michael be at the
breast all the time, then he won't stimulate the breasts for more milk. For
the time being, stop pumping, let Micheal be at the breast any time to
stimulate milk production and realize yourself that you can do this. The
most common mistake many new moms make, is thinking they can't make enough
milk and the baby is hungry. Keep at it, and you'll get to the six week mark
and it will get easier and then you will realize that your at a year and you
didn't even realize how you got there. ) Hang in there and stop pumping
and supplementing.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Zucca4 wrote in message
Michael Jude will be 4 months old on Monday. He's nursing 70% of the time,

30%
Similac thanks to his intensive care stay where he was indoctrinated to
formula. Also he never seems satisfied at the breast and minutes after 30

mins.
of nursing will carry on and then suck formula down like there is no

tomorrow.
I have found the whole breastfeeding thing very discouraging sadly enough
especially since I felt so strongly about it and really wanted this so

much.

I offer the baby my breast for all his sucking needs and the only time I

have
resorted to formula was when he cried uncontrollably after nursings and it

was
very obvious he was still hungry. I am now a stay at home mom and while

there
is no real need to pump, I have pumped quite a few times so that I can
physically see what my son is getting as he has a bowel movement only

every
four days although he does have many wet diapers. I generally get only

about 3
oz. in about 45 minutes from both breasts. I am wondering if my breasts

are
not producing enough milk. Any time I give him formula, I pump to

stimulate my
breasts as I recognize the relationship between supply and demand.

I have heard that women who don't gain a lot of weight during their

pregnancies
or whose breasts don't get larger have a tougher time. I only gained 11

pounds
( I was a bit overweight however, and had gestational diabetes so I had to

be
very prudent with my pregnancy diet) and my already very large boobs did

not
get larger at all. I wore the same bras throughout my pregnancy.

I've read all breastfeeding material I could get my hands on and the

sentiment
always seems the same- that all women are capable of breastfeeding, that's

it's
what nature intended, and that with practice and perserverance the art can

be
mastered.

I, however, am feeling very down suddenly about the whole thing as Michael
always seems hungry and never seems satisfied at the breast. The idea of
supplementing never seemed like a good one, however, his hungry cries get

the
better of me every time.

Advice? I don't want to give up. My doctor assures me that if I make it

to 6
weeks I'll have done a good thing, but I really wanted to make it to a

year if
that was possible.

Thanks for listening,
lisa