Old December 20th 03, 04:01 PM
Em

Default How long to pump 3 oz?

"Zucca4" wrote in message
I offer the baby my breast for all his sucking needs and the only time I

have
resorted to formula was when he cried uncontrollably after nursings and it

was
very obvious he was still hungry. I am now a stay at home mom and while

there
is no real need to pump, I have pumped quite a few times so that I can
physically see what my son is getting as he has a bowel movement only

every
four days although he does have many wet diapers. I generally get only

about 3
oz. in about 45 minutes from both breasts. I am wondering if my breasts

are
not producing enough milk. Any time I give him formula, I pump to

stimulate my
breasts as I recognize the relationship between supply and demand.

snip

I realized after I posted, that I didn't respond to your question about
pumping. Keep in mind that women respond differently to pumping and it isn't
a very good indicator of how much milk you actually are producing (some
women can pump tons, some nothing, but each is still producing plenty of
milk for their nurslings). Also, remember that your baby's tummy only holds
about 2 ounces at a time right now, so if you got 3 ounces, that was
probably more than he needs at a feeding :-) My DS is 3 months, and I get
about 3 ounces in ten minutes from one breast. I used to get less when he
was younger and I also think I respond fairly well to the pump (no problems
letting down, etc). Other people will get more ounces in less time and still
others will barely squeeze out an ounce--it depends a lot on your
pump-response, not on your body's actual level of milk production.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 3 months