Old October 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Default Using Ferber method in everyday life

Marion Baumgarten wrote:

This is normal 5 month old behavior. I'm not as extreme as the other
posters. For example, I would a let a five month old cry (briefly) while
I went to the bathroom or threw a load of laundry in the washer or
whatever. Then I would pick up the child as soon as I returned and said
"See Mommy's back" Babies love peek a boo at this age and I think it
helps them get used to the idea that people leave and come back.

Oh, I think this is perfectly fine too--even desirable.
I don't think one should manufacture errands, but there's no
reason that a 5mo can't handle the brief separations entailed
by normal daily activity and every reason why he should learn
to do so. But there's a world of difference between *that*
and insisting that a crying baby be ignored so that he won't
get spoiled.

Best wishes,
ERicka