Old April 19th 05, 12:33 AM
Daye

On 12 Apr 2005 12:06:24 -0700, (Anna) wrote:

I am currently working on a project to investigate if there is any
link between post natal depression and caesarean sections.

Does anyone have any information that supports or disproves this
theory?

Not scientific, but I can give you my experience. With #1, I had
severe pre-eclampsia which resulted in an emergency c-section. This
greatly impacted on my subsequent (mild to moderate) PND. There were
clearly other factors that caused my PND, but it was a traumatic birth
experience.

I had an elective c/s with #2. I developed severe PND. Again, other
factors caused the PND. One of the biggest risks was that I had PND
with #1.

I know that there were other risks and factors that led to my having
(and still enduring) PND. However, I think that if I hadn't had an
emergency c/s with #1, I would have been in a much better place
emotionally and even if I got PND, it would not have been as bad. The
second c/s brought up painful memories of the c/s with #1, which is
why I think I fell so hard this time around.

--
Daye
Mommy to DD3 and DS1