Old April 30th 04, 01:40 AM
Chotii

Default My diapering philosophy (was: What's in your Diaper Bag?)

From: "Chotii"

Plus, and here's my take on it environmentally, I use cloth *when I can*
(which is not *all* the time, as noted) because I feel human waste should

be
treated in waste treatment facilities, and not buried in such a way that

it
pretty much cannot biodegrade. I mean, no healthy adult without a medical
reason would even consider for a moment putting their own feces and urine
into the trash. I can't do it with my kids' either.

LOL...where do you think the **** goes in the long run? Sometimes a

Landfill!
Our business is down the road from Surban Sanitation and P.U. Septic

Service
and DH is really good friends with both owners so I would be more than

happy to
get the scoop on this one.

No pun intended, I'm sure.

Locally, as far as I know ( mean, north King County/south Snohomish County,
Washington state), treated sludge from the water treatment facilities is
used in between rows of fast-growing softwood trees, used for paper pulp.
In other municipalities it is used to fertilize hay for animal feed, dumped
into the ocean, applied to strip mines (for reclamation), to forests, golf
courses, and cemetaries. It is also used to manure farmland, though due to
toxic wastes found in the sludge, this is probably not a good idea.

It seems clear that in some municipalities, sewage sludge is indeed disposed
of in landfills.

Eh. I'll still stick with the cloth. Money talks.

--angela