Old May 5th 05, 11:25 PM
Amy Rice

wrote in news:MPG.1ce2f22f98396bf3989685
@news.prodigy.net:

Let me begin by telling you that I am not an allergy sufferer;

however,
I have a new stepdaughter who has terrible allergies to what appears

be everything under the sun. Her father, my husband, has custody over
the girl and her brother for a two-week long period during the spring.
Naturally, he wants his children to come to our house, which includes

as
its residents a Persian feline (who will be vacationing at my friend's
home for the length of the girl's stay) and an admittedly untidy

woman.
Of course, I plan on cleaning top to bottom before the girl arrives.

It
may take some time, as the cat has lived here a while and has laid

claim
to all available surfaces as her personal shedding grounds. I'll also
stock the kitchen with enough ice cream and Benadryl to keep my
stepdaughter content for her next fifty visits. Any other advice for
temporarily allergy-proofing my home?

I commend you for trying to create a hospitable environment for your new
family. I would agree with everything you've listed on your to-do list
for your stepdaughter. A thorough cleaning, as well as maintenance of
the spick and span state of your house, are always strong guards against
allergies. Be sure to remove any thick blankets, curtains, and rugs that
might hold more loose kitty fur than what meets the eye. Those cat hairs
do find a way of getting everywhere, in my experience. A good vacuum
should get rid of all unwanted dust and dander particles regardless of
whether you're dealing with a hardwood floor or a carpet, and it will
take care of all the areas underneath or behind furniture that are
difficult for regular-sized folks to get to. There's a kind of vacuum
(it's called the Roomba robot vacuum, maybe?) that you can program to
work even when you're not at home, if you're strapped for time. Good
luck on your new role as stepmother.