Old January 12th 09, 01:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka

Default Doula Dilemma

betsy wrote:
Kat wrote:

Doulas seem to offer more than what just a friend or family member can
offer. It seems they can offer different techniques and whatever
else. One mom said her doula had music, massages, hot and cold
compresses, some kind of aromatherapy and offered various positions
and whatever else. I know to date, I've never had that kind of stuff
offered to me with any of my births.

Even though I usually tend toward the "don't touch me" type during
labor, I appreciate a doula.

I am very much a "leave me alone" sort of person in
labor. I didn't have doulas, per se, but for my first
two births I had two midwives (well, two were there for
the first birth, but only one made it in time for the
second), and then I had a midwife and a birth assistant
for the third. Between the two midwives or the midwife
and the birth assistant they provided much the same
service as a doula. What I found helpful was that the
mother hen in me could relax because I knew that someone
was making sure that everyone else was taken care of.
Someone else would talk my husband down if he was
freaking out, someone else would make sure that everyone
was fed, someone else would make sure that any supplies
for the birth were ready when needed, someone else would
keep people informed when I kicked everyone out, etc.
Without that, I wouldn't have been able to concentrate
on labor or relax as well as I did. So, even for those
who don't necessarily *need* a doula for hands on help
during labor, it may be something to consider.

Of course, that doesn't apply so much to Kat's
situation, as she hasn't got a pile of other folks to
worry about, but might be relevant to someone else.

Best wishes,
Ericka