Old January 12th 09, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Sue

Default Doula Dilemma

I guess I just deal with it different. I interalized my pain, focused,
breathed, rocked back and forth and got through it. I didn't have drugs nor
did anyone push them on me. I had very good experiences with my births. I
did have an epidural with my first, but it didn't take and they took it out.
No one pushed me into having it though. Everyone is different and most are
looking for that magical experience, but I just wanted to get through it,
lol.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

"MarieD" wrote in message
"Sue" wrote in message
I didn't need anyone trained besides the nurses to be with me during the
births. My husband's support was all I needed. If he wasn't around, which
he was there all three times, then I would of rather had my sister or my
closest friend. I am not into the whole "birth experience" has to be
perfect and intervention free like many of you are. I am pretty
independent and did just fine without anyone else there except the nurse
popping in once and a while.

For me, the biggest thing was to get through the pain. My mom was a huge
help there. If I hadn't had her with me, I'd have wanted *someone* useful
at helping me get through the contractions without encouraging meds(and
for my own two hospital births and the 3 others I'd been at, meds were the
only way the nurses seemed to know how to deal with the pain). It's not a
perfect birth experience we're after(most of us, I guess!), it's just
support through the hard stuff that we want. Not to be alone.
Marie