Old May 4th 04, 03:18 AM
CBI

Default Have you tried an electric toothbrush?

"John Doe" wrote in message
(CBI) wrote
"Nic" wrote in message

My dentist says it makes no differance using a normal

brush or a
electric brush.

Consumers reports agrees that it makes no difference.

Care to provide a quotation/citation? An issue date?

It was discussed in the December 2003 issue. This is only
available on-line for a fee.

Now that I have shown you mine would you care to do the
same?

If you have any experience with hand versus power tools,

you should be able
to understand the difference between polishing/cleaning

something by hand
versus an electrical polisher.

Yes, that analogy seems to makes sense. In this case it
appears to be wrong, but I certainly understand the logic
and appeal of it. If you know anything about analogies you
should know that they do not always apply to similar
situations and it is not always obvious why not. Truth be
told - I would have guessed that they do better as well but
it would have been just a guess. Better than my (or your)
guessing CR decided to test it and they found no difference.
Sorry if you don't like the results but unless you have some
other information they are the only ones we have (that and
the opinion of the dentist already mentioned).

Me thinks some people are feeling a little guilty for not

taking good care
of their kids dental health. And you should IMO, unless

perhaps you live in
Siberia/China and your economy isn't good enough to

readily provide such
things. Here in the United States, electric toothbrushes

cost little as $5
(five US dollars). The rechargable batteries cost extra

but will save money
and trips to the store in a short while.

I agree. If they work better then it is a small investment.
If they work better.....

Without a doubt, there is a huge positive difference using

an electric
toothbrush.

Apparently it is not without a doubt.

The one caveate, especially with kids, is that if they

have more fun
with it and use it longer it may help.

I would caution against using an electric toothbrush for a

long time. Like
any polisher/cleaner, manual or electric, a brush wears on

things. An
electric toothbrush can and will accomplish more of that

abraisive action
in a fraction of the time. You can accomplish the same

amount of cleaning
in much less time, long as you reach the same areas. Since

you hold the
brush head still, applying it to one point is very easy.

So you not only
have the pulsing action, you can concentrate the action in

the exact right
area (like in the back of your mouth). But again, not good

to do so for a
long time, IMO.

You just love to speculate, don't you? I actually think that
is a good thing so long as you can keep track of the
difference between what is your own idle speculations and
what is established fact (or at least one with a modicum of
factual support).

--
CBI, MD