Old December 6th 06, 07:46 PM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Jeff

Default fidgety kids

wrote in message
ps.com...

Using gifted kids as tutors for other kids needs to be approached
carefully, IMO. It risks making the child seem even more different to
his/her peers, and sets them apart in a way that becomes socially
uncomfortable. Some experience teaching is probably good for many
kids, but again, it shouldn't be the only thing they do all day.

One thing that is good for kids is to tutor younger kids. It gives the older
kids confidence and self-esteem. The younger kids benefit by getting more
one-on-one attention.

Working in groups, if done properly, is often helpful for all the kids,
because they all take on roles as teacher and learner. And when you teach,
you learn the material you are teaching even better. However, the key words
as "if done properly."

Schools who refuse to give advanced kids any special treatment are
doing them a huge disservice. It is unreasonable to send a child to
school for 7 hours per day year after year and have them not learn
anything other than how to be bored without showing it. If we turn
these kids off of learning at a young age, I'd argue that we have also
done society a disservice.

I do think it is good that kids learn to behave properly, even when bored.

However, it is better never to test the kids on thisl. Kids are going to
learn more if engaged than if bored.

Jeff

--Robyn