Old March 9th 08, 02:19 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
betsy

Default Preparing sibling for birth process?

On Mar 7, 4:22 pm, Akuvikate wrote:
We'd like to have the option of having the Bug (4.5 y/o) present at
the birth when the little dude is born. My mother, who is very
involved in her life, would be at the hospital as the designated Bug
manager so that they can go in and out of the room as seems
appropriate. But of course I wouldn't want to spring this on her
unawares, and am more mystified and apprehensive about how to open the
discussion with her about the (relatively) gory details of birth than
I am about actually having her there. I know a lot of people on these
lists have had older siblings present at birth and am curious about
any good resources you know of (books, videos, whatever) to educate
preschool age children about birth.

My kids watched "Unconventional Births / Born in the USA" from
Puget Sound Birth & Family Center. I got it free at a conference. It
included home, birth center and hospital births.

Most of the women did a good bit of screaming and even the home
births were more interventionist than I was comfortable with.
None of this bothered the kids, ages 3, 6, and 9. This is interesting
since we have a TV free home and my 6 yo finds almost any children's
movie too scary.

They asked to watch it over and over. I shared my opinions on how
each birth was handled. I think it was good for them to see the
families on the video and hear their stories in addition to the
births.

When it came to the actual birth, the kids were in the living room
and
rushed in the moment they heard the first cry. This meant that they
were there to see their sister right away, but were also present for
the scary stuff. There was a lot more blood involved than any birth
video would have and my disappearance to the hospital. My 3 yo is the
only one (other than the midwives) who seems to have been bothered by
seeing all the blood. In the days after the birth, she asked
about it repeatedly. Now, a month later, she seems fine.

I don't regret allowing my kids to be around.

--Betsy