Old March 10th 08, 01:53 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Bryna

Default Preparing sibling for birth process?

On Mar 7, 7:22�pm, Akuvikate wrote:
We'd like to have the option of having the Bug (4.5 y/o) present at
the birth when the little dude is born. �My mother, who is very
involved in her life, would be at the hospital as the designated Bug
manager so that they can go in and out of the room as seems
appropriate. �But of course I wouldn't want to spring this on her
unawares, and am more mystified and apprehensive about how to open the
discussion with her about the (relatively) gory details of birth than
I am about actually having her there. �I know a lot of people on these
lists have had older siblings present at birth and am curious about
any good resources you know of (books, videos, whatever) to educate
preschool age children about birth. �Growing up as a doctor's daughter
she's generally knowledgeable about the body and enjoys looking at my
rather graphic medical school anatomy textbook. �She particularly
likes the drawing of the abdominal wall splayed open to show the
stomach and intestines -- point being, she's not squeamish about this
sort of thing, so I could see a non-kid oriented photographic book
about pregnancy and birth also serving as a good tool to prepare her.

Kate, ignorant foot soldier of the medical cartel
and the Bug, 4 and a half
and something brewing, 4/08

I've watched "A Baby Story" with my two older kids (now ages 7 and
4.5) and discussed the birth process with them, not because I'm
planning to have them in the delivery room with me (I don't like
distraction when I'm laboring) but because they were interested in how
babies come out. One thing I found helpful was reframing the labor
process as "hard work" rather than "incredible pain" -- I told them
that the mommy has to work very hard to get the baby out, and that
hard work can hurt, but I kept the focus on the work involved. And I
told them that even though the hard work can be painful, the mommy is
so excited to see the baby and doesn't mind working hard for it.
Also, when they remarked on the bloodiness of the process, I told them
that mommies make lots of extra blood when they're pregnant and they
don't need that blood anymore so it's okay that it comes out with the
baby. I think it's just important that kids realize that there's
nothing *wrong* with the mother during labor, that everything that
happens is okay and just part of having a baby.

Good luck!

Bryna