Old October 27th 06, 12:25 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Anne Rogers

Default am I doing something wrong?

And at one point her sleeping routine was like clockwork - she fell asleep
at 8pm, had her normal wakings about every 3 hrs, sometimes every 4 hrs,
and got up at around 7am. Then she would nap from about 11am to 1pm every
day. Now, She may fall asleep at 8pm, or maybe not until 9pm. Then she
might only sleep for an hour, then she wakes and wants to play. Or she
absolutely can't stand being in her crib alone (it's at the foot of our
bed), so we put her in bed with us. She rests much better, but still
wakes frequently through the night.

both my babies have done this, learnt/grown to sleep through the night,
prior to starting solids, then around a month after starting solids started
waking in the night again, I just fed them, but I'm not sure that is really
best for all concerned, you need your sleep and so do they, they do there
growing when they are asleep and if they are waking several times in the
night later on in the first year, they are probably not getting enough
sleep. Personally I'd consider putting her in a separate room, it means you
can't disturb her and if she is only a little fussy, then you may not wake
up, then when you go to her, don't instantly feed her, use that as a last
resort, though I wouldn't drop straight to nothing from 18oz overnight.

Don't cut yourself up about this, you are not doing anything wrong, you've
been trying to meet the needs of your baby, unfortunately, this doesn't fit
in so well to the needs of the whole family. One thing my mum told me after
I'd had problems with my first and sleeping was that she considered, once a
baby had slept through the night a few times, that she considered that the
baby was past the small stomach and needing to eat frequently stage and only
gave water at night from then on if there was a night waking. I think she's
partially right, though I'd have concerns surrounding growth spurts or
illnesses, so it's really a case of knowing your own baby.

Cheers

Anne