Old July 20th 03, 12:50 AM
Dennis Here

Default help me keep my son from perpetuating the cycle of abuse (very long)

wrote in message ...

What you are both forgetting is how the street is a whole different place
now than it was in the '60s or even the '80s. We have AIDS for one thing,

lot more adults out there who are also homeless, a lot more hard core

drugs,
and precious few resources to go around for all who need them out there.

He
is not street smart, he wouldn't make it, it would destroy him.

It could make him too.
Like I said, if you are confident that you have done the groundwork, that he
knows right from wrong, he will be just fine.
Heroin was available in the sixties as well, two friends of mine died from
it. I chose to leave it but a joint never did me any harm. A lot of other
friends were acid freaks, they are all still alive. I think Alan Ginsburg
only died recently and not from drugs.
I grew up in a small village in Devon in SW England. I was not street wise
either but I had a sixth sense that got me past the gay guys and kept me the
right side of the law. I lived and worked with people from all walks of
life. Gypsies, down and outs and other young people like myself. I learnt
from all of them. I experienced discrimination for the first time in my
life. I found ways around it and learned how to get on with everyone.
Schools or parents cannot teach you this stuff.
Let him go with your blessing but be there for him. You will get a letter or
Email from him within a month or so.

Dennis