Old October 7th 03, 09:50 PM
Ruth Baltopoulos

Default dual immersion

"toypup" wrote:

: DS knows Spanish and English. We speak English at home,
and the dcp only
: speaks Spanish. So, when it comes time for kindy in a few
years, DS will
: have the opportunity to be in a dual immersion program
where 50% of the
: classes are in English and 50% are taught entirely in
Spanish. I like this
: idea, but DH thinks DS will grow up to be only so-so in
both languages. I
: can see how the written language may suffer some, and it's
only a
: theoretical risk; but other than that, I don't see a
problem. Has anyone
: else had their child in a dual immersion program? What
did you think? If
: we don't do that, DS would still know Spanish, as it's
spoken frequently in
: this area, and I intend to hold onto the dcp for after
school care. Would
: it be better to keep him in an English only program until
he's older, so
: that his English reading and writing skills have more time
to be ingrained?
: He could always learn to read and write in Spanish in high
school, though
: maybe he won't do it as well if he learns it so late.
This is a few years
: down the line, but I'm always one to think ahead.

In the town where I reside, the local Public Schools offer
French Immersion and Spanish FLES (Foreign Language in
Elementary School) programs. I have heard more about a
learning lag in the Immersion program than in the FLES. The
immersion has been around for quite a few years longer; I
believe the first High School graduates of the program were
in 2001. All seems well with them FLES has been around
for about five years, and I can't recall hearing anything
other than positive feedback from the parents that I know
who have kids in the program.
--
Ruth B -- Remove the blinders to send email

Stewie (reading the Bible): "My my, what a thumping good
read, lions eating Christians, people nailing each other to
two by fours. I'll say, you won't find that in Winnie the
Pooh."

---
10/6/2003