Old July 14th 06, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default birth control??

KR wrote:
What type of birth control are all you breastfeeding moms using?

My daughter is 2 months old now, my doctor mentioned the options of the
mirena IUD or micronor (a mini pill). We aren't ready to make a
permanent decision right now and I really don't want another child at
this point. What is most effective? What is easier with less
problems??

If the IUD works for you, it's the easiest method in the world, and one
of the most effective. I have a non-hormonal one (Copper-T) and have
been one of the lucky ones who doesn't get more difficult periods at
all, just a tiny bit of extra spotting before the period starts (which
I actually like, as it functions as an early warning system). The first
*couple* of periods were longer and heavier, but not more painful, and
then things settled right down. I had gotten my period back unusually
early, only about 2 months postpartum, and got the IUD something like 6
months postpartum, don't remember any longer.

The mini-pill isn't that great due to the window of time when you have
to take it. I am a VERY disorganized person, even without a small
and/or sleepless baby as an excuse, and would have had a hard time with
the mini-pill.

--Helen