Old July 15th 03, 04:29 AM
LSU Grad of '89

Default Infant flat skulls can be avoided: U.S. doctors

Ha, my baby started getting the flattened head and we were alarmed as son as
we noticed - at about 3 months. We got a positioner and put him on his side
to sleep.

I daresay most intelligent folks will figure it out - that is, if they are
not overwhelmed by life (too many children, work, etc.) to notice

L.

P.S. I find the lot of you rather arrogant ans silly. I do not know a single
"doctor" that has TIME TO WRITE silly accusations. " And yet again we
revisit a common theme from you, JG. Either by
arrogance or ignorance (or both?)" To what parents are you dispensing

advice ? People in the grocery line in front of you ?

This is a very strange group.

"PF Riley" wrote in message
On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 18:22:47 GMT, "JG" wrote:

"PF Riley" wrote in message

I'd say 48% sounds about right in my experience. What you fail to
realize is that for most of them, the deformity resolves with time.
Back to Sleep started in full force around 1994. Do you know many
9-year-olds with misshapen heads?

I know a couple of teenagers with rather severe craniofacial
abnormalities, but not because of supine sleeping. What I have
difficulty understanding is why the parents of the 48% with misshapen
heads either didn't notice the problem developing (!) or didn't take
corrective action (e.g., the suggestions in the article) sooner...

And yet again we revisit a common theme from you, JG. Either by
arrogance or ignorance (or both?) you seem to way overestimate the
average intelligence and common sense of the American public. As CBI
has pointed out, your problem in this case is not with the AAP
dispensing the advice, but with your perception that it shouldn't be
necessary.

I would say about half of the families to whom I point out the typical
occipital flattening and even occasional rhomboidal deformity
(unilateral occipital with contralateral frontal flattening) of
positional plagiocephaly during the 4 month check-up genuinely had not
noticed it themselves. How, then, would you expect these parents to
have begun taking corrective action?

PF