Old September 10th 03, 09:03 PM
dragonlady

Default Dentist uses Nitrous Oxide?

In article ,
Jenn wrote:

In article ,
"iphigenia" wrote:

Wendy Marsden wrote:
The pediatric dentist was talking about scheduling an OR for sometime
in the winter (months and months from now) to do all four fillings at
once. I'm disinclined to put my kid through general anasthesia
again. (Long story, but probably related to why he has such weirdly
horrible teeth: he had a traumatic illness and hospitalization 15
months ago.)

I'm thinking of finding a dentist that does NOT use nitrous oxide but
who will prescribe a valium before the visit. What do you think?

Are you concerned about all forms of being knocked out? My pediodontist
gives chloral hydrate to kids over 3. Or maybe Versed would be an option.
The other thing to consider WRT general anesthesia is that this is a
different kid - 15 months makes a big difference in a small child's life -
and maybe you could talk to the anesthesiologist about the prior bad
experience, s/he could look at the medical records and maybe identify
something the previous anesthesiologist used that caused a bad reaction. But
of course if your instinct is telling you not to let him be put under, that
takes precedence.

my FIL is an anesthesiologist and he is explosively opinionated about
using general anesthetic in a dental office -- the death rate of office
administered general anesthetic is pretty high -- especially considering
that they are administered for trivial problems to healthy people

I guess you have to define trivial. I'm not sure I could have managed
having my wisdom teeth out without a general.

OTOH, I am sincerely dentist-phobic. I think I'd like to find a
hygenist who cleans under a general . . .

meh