Old June 14th 06, 09:20 PM posted to misc.kids

Default What's the impact of dressing our children as adults?

In article . com,
" wrote:

My question is to start a conversation about the impact of dressing
kids like adults. I have really been hit hard in my conviction about
how we dress kids in adult-like outfits but are outraged over
pediphilia.

It depends -- are you really talking about "adult like" clothing -- ie,
boys in suits and ties, girls in nice dresses with some sort of leggings
and maybe Mary Janes -- or are you talking about the slut puppy look
that I don't even think is appropriate on grownups?

I have no problem with kids having dress up clothes that are very
similar to what a responsible adult might wear to, say, a funeral (or
church or something like that). I can't imagine that that encourages
pedophelia.

However, I don't think it'a appropriate for a pre-adolescent person to
be dressed in a way that is heavily sexualized, nor do I think you'll
find a lot of people in this newsgroup who do think it's appropriate.

Is there any responsibility there on behalf of us parents to present
our children like the children they are - rather than the adults they
will become? Is it a responsibility of us as a society to be outraged
over the explotation of our children in advertising?j

That's a different issue.

I'd really appreciate an honest discussion - even if you disagree with
me.