Old February 22nd 07, 10:36 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Larry Mcmahan

Default biting

In article .com,
says...
On Feb 19, 11:20 am, Xahne "xahne at btinternet dot com" wrote:
My Little Bug is now 8 months old, and has been happily breast feeding
since she was born.

In the last couple of days, she has started biting instead of feeding.

Does any one have any suggestions on how to stop her doing this? I
really don't want to stop feeding her myself.

Xahne

I can remember very well an absolutely horrific 48 hours when DD was
that age, she had sharp teeth and bit with every feed. I got some
good advice here, especially from Larry, but I don't remember all the
details. (Sorry) The main helpful points were
1) yelling "ouch" and ending the feed after a bite.
2) making sure they were all the way latched on so they couldn't pull
off to bite
3) It was generally a short lived phase and would be over in a few
days.

Good luck!
JJ

OK. Since you mentioned my name, JJ ...

Xahne,

Biting can be anticipated and prevented if you know what to look for.
I'll try to explain it as clearly as I can.

Usually (almost always) a baby bite at the end of a nursing session when
she is getting full. At this time she slips down on the end of the
nipple and bites. Knowing this can tell you what to look (feel) for and
what to do about it.

First, when you latch her on, make sure that you get all of the nipple
and most of the areole in her mouth. If you don't get her latched on
right, latch her off and start over.

Second, watch for her slipping down as she nurses. When she starts to
slip off, latch her off and back on. If she will not stay latched on
completely, end the nursing session.

Third, if she actually bites you, press her face into your breast. This
will immediately cause her to open her mouth to breathe. Latch her off
and tell her "No, that hurts mommy."

If you do these three things, you should be able to solve the problem
without tears for either of you.

Good luck,
Larry