Old April 27th 08, 11:52 AM posted to misc.legal.moderated,alt.child-support,alt.support.single-parents
David L. Martel

Default Notify father if moving from Colorado to Kentucky as never married mom?

Jan,

You are writing for a friend so you collection of facts may be wrong. You
friend has a child who is being supported by a man, the "father", to whom
your friend has never been married. There may be a court ordered support
agreement though that is not mentioned. Yiur friend also does not mention
whether the father is involved with the child, often called "visitation",
and whether this involvement is court ordered or contractual in some way.
Your friend wishes to continue the child support but also plans to move with
this child from Colorado to Kansas. You ask foradvice.
Your friend needs to review any agreements that she has with the father
whether court ordered or not. This move also opens up a "real can of worms"
since the child may have friends and relatives in Colorado. I think your
friend needs to get some legal advice. She probably needs to discuss this
with the father as well. There is probably legal aid available if she is
poor. I'd expect the father and his family to raise hell. The child also may
be unhappy about this move. I'd place very little faith in your friend's
Web-related reasearch.

Good luck,
Dave M.