Old October 13th 05, 11:14 PM
Carlson LaVonne

Default I love dogs....I love children

I have adopted many dogs in my lifetime (as well as a menagerie of other
animals). I have learned through experience and through education that
the least effective way to train, guide, and discipline a dog is through
hitting and intimidation.

Until August 2nd, I had two dogs, a German Shepherd/Lab mix that I
adopted and trained since he was a puppy, and a Springer Spaniel that I
adopted at 8 months of age. My youngest child moved back home after
graduation from college because she couldn't find a job. With her she
brought back a 2 year old Rottweiler/Shepard mix. I also have a cat
that the Rottie wants to kill.

Through diligence, training, and kindness the situation is correcting
itself. We don't hit the Rottie nor do we discipline through fear. We
discipline through diligence and kindness, knowing that the Rottie has
strong prey instincts but also a strong desire to please his humans.

I keep wondering why people insist on hitting, hurting, and shaming
children in the name of discipline. Children have so much more
cognitive potential that dogs. Yet we provide dogs more protection that
children, and it is so much easier for some individuals to raise and
train a dog in an effective and humane way that it is for these same
individuals to positively parent a human child.

LaVonne