Old May 24th 06, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated

Default Expulsion Notification

On Mon, 22 May 2006 09:26:07 EDT, Scott L
wrote:

Over the weekend, at a neighborhood party, I learned that
4 of DD's classmates had been suspended, and maybe expelled
for smoking pot in the boys' room (during the last class
period!). If such a thing happened in your kid's school,
would you expect some kind of notification from the
principal alerting you to what had happened? (This is
7th grade, by the way). DD said it's been the talk of the
school, among her classmates. I guess I'd like to have
heard something from the administration, not from a
parent whose kid happened to mention something.

In the school district I work in, it is not allowed to tell other
parents about any disciplinary actions taken against a child who is
not theirs. It is a privacy and legal rights concern. OTOH, would
you want an announcement to go out from admin to all parents in the
school if your daughter had been caught smoking pot and was being
suspended or expelled? Would you feel that was fair? I think often
the school is happy that the grapevine gets the word out to those who
might want to be more careful in what they do, who they hang out with
or who they let their children hang out with, but they can't do it
themselves.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,