Old March 12th 07, 08:17 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking
0:->

Default What DID Dr. Embry find?

The claim is that because the "Embry study" was about teaching
children to not run into the street by using a set of training
strategies, that the study was not about "spanking" so it shouldn't be
considered as an argument against "spanking to teach."

So what did Dr. Embry actually say originally, and what did he say in
his conversation with Barkley in this ng later:

: In the Summer 1987 issue of _Children_ magazine, Dr. Dennis
Embry
: writes:

: "Since 1977 I have been heading up the only long-term project
: designed to counteract pedestrian accidents to preschool-aged
children.
: (Surprisingly, getting struck by a car is about the third leading
cause
: of death to young children in the United States.)
: "Actual observation of parents and children shows that
spanking,
: scolding, reprimanding and nagging INCREASES the rate of street
entries
: by children. Children use going into the street as a near-perfect
way
: to gain parents' attention.
: "Now there is a promising new educational intervention
program,
: called Safe Playing. The underlying principles of the program are
: simple:

: 1. Define safe boundaries in a POSITIVE way. "Safe
: players play on the grass or sidewalk."
: 2. Give stickers for safe play. That makes it more
fun
: than playing dangerously.
: 3. Praise your child for safe play.

: "These three principles have an almost instant effect on
: increasing safe play. We have observed children who had been
spanked
: many times a day for going into the street, yet they continued to do
it.
: The moment the family began giving stickers and praise for safe
play, the
: children stopped going into the street.

: Dennis D. Embry, Ph.D.
: University of Kansas
: Lawrence Kansas"

Here, in recent months, he personally posted quite the same thing in
as many words:

"We have observed children who had been spanked
many times a day for going into the street, yet they continued to do
it.
The moment the family began giving stickers and praise for safe play,
the
children stopped going into the street."

And he pointed out the most frequent offenders were children that
showed behavioral problems...the very type of child more likely to be
spanked in the first place.

And the results with these children, after the parent's participated
in the study, with training on how to reinforce "Safe Play," the most
improvement of the entire set of children, as I recall.

Because the study is at present only available in hard copy, I am
told, I have once again contacted Triple A, and requested they convert
their copy to PDF format so it can be offered in that format for
easier and less costly access (It costs a bit over $14 now, I believe,
to have it copied and shipped,) and because this is a rare and
important study that needs to be seen and read.

I'll keep checking to see if they change it's status on their page
that listed it, at:

http://www.aaafoundation.org/resourc...utton=rsrchcat

You might check from time to time as well if you'd like to see this
report and what it actually says, and as that related to Dr. Embry's
prior comment about the research and spanking, and of course what he
said in this newsgroup.

Or you could make the purchase yourself.

And Doan, as yet, busy as he is with running down the miscreant that
tried to pose as him using a cowardly nym, did not ever respond to my
question asking for a study that was about the efficacy of using CP,
spanking, to teach a child this same thing, reduction of street
entries by toddlers.

Not even a study on the use of any methods, plus spanking. Though that
would be rather counterintuative to consider such a study.

But then, 0;]

Kane