Old December 17th 05, 06:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Managed VS natural births

I wonder if epidurals ever help _avoid_ further interventions?

in the case when they lower blood pressures, a clear yes

in my 2nd, I wonder what would have happened if I hadn't have got the
epidural when I did, I wasn't just loosing the ability to control things, I
was way past that point, but I was trying, I'd make it through half to
2/3rds of the contraction and then just be way out of control, that out of
controlness was doing me harm, my blood pressure and heart rate were doing
wierd things, as was the babies, so epidural brought those things back
undercontrol, once my obs were normal, hers became normal too. Why I was
completely unable to control things I do not know it was very different from
my first when I was out of control, requested an epidural, then got things
back under control and stayed that way for over an hour, it was potentially
the amounts of pethidine in my system that meant when labour started I just
could not get it sorted, however hard I tried. Had I not got the epidural,
we were both at risk, I don't know what they would have done, but nothing
would not have been an option, it wasn't a case of it just being unpleasant
(which it was) as they kept saying to me, you need to control this, you need
to breath, for the babies sake (and they weren't just using that as a
technique, they were bleeping the doctor too)

Anne