Old March 23rd 07, 11:52 AM posted to misc.kids.moderated
Beth Kevles

Default potty training

Hi --

If you decide that you need to push the toilet training (I'm one of
those people who have no issue with pushing it, by the way) the method
I've seen that works best is:

Remove all diapers etc. so your child is naked from the waist down
Make sure your child watches whe YOU use the toilet
Have a small (portable) toilet handy
reward for toilet use, even when unsuccessful or too late. gradually
switch to rewarding for small increments of increased success.
Ply child with plenty of fluids so as to offer lots of opportunity for
lots of toileting.
Expect messes for 3-5 days.
Offer ONLY positive encouragement. don't tie the toileting experience
to anything except the immediate, small reward. (stickers, M&Ms,
whatever suits your child.)
Clean carpet and floors when done. :-)

There's a book called something like "Toilet Training in 1 Day" that's
actually pretty good. You can probably get it at your local library.

If your child gets upset, by the way, back off and wait at least a few
weeks or longer before trying again. An upset child will be very
resistant to toilet training.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.