Old July 8th 03, 11:49 PM
toto

Default When NO is funny.

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:09:32 -0700, blacksalt
wrote:

Almost one year old baby gets the giggles over "no" even if said
sternly, even if removed from the object. I cringe at seeing people swat
babies hands.
Ignoring doesn't work either...he just happily keeps at it, but he seems
to take No as an extra special treat. In truth, he laughs over many
things, so his response seems normal for his personality, and it ain't
that he's being neglected and looking for attention.
What would you do?
blacksalt

Stop saying no. Tell him what he can do instead of what he cannot
do. Distract him from things you don't want him to do with something
that is more interesting. If you do say *no* make it for things
involving safety. Say it ONCE, then act to pick him up and move him
out of danger and supervise him closely enough that he cannot go
back to the dangerous activity.

I am a big believer in saving the words no and stop for situations
where they are really important. Otherwise, I would allow the child
to explore and to learn what happens from the natural consequences
of his actions.

--
Dorothy

Outer Limits