Old July 9th 03, 02:46 PM
Astromum

Default When NO is funny.

snap
What would you do?
blacksalt

Saying no is strictly reserved for potentially harmful behaviour.
First time I say 'no' in a clear voice, so he knows it is not just
another word, and I try to distract him with something else. Second
time I say 'no' sternly and take him away from the object. Third
time I have to say 'no', I take the object out of the room. It has
worked fine so far. I always tell him he is doing good when he takes
up another toy or moves away from the 'forbidden' object, and often
I go an play with him a little as a reward (and keep him distracted).

And yes, you will have to keep an eye 24/7 and your furniture will
be damaged, as will be other things. Food will end up on floor, wall
and ceiling, and in places you never though existed. But as long as
his behaviour doesn't pose a threat to him, we just ignore it and so
far it has passed when he was satisfied with the discovery of wood
and the force of gravity.

--
-- Ilse
mom to Olaf (07/15/2002)