Old May 18th 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.child-support
Chris

Default something I can't really understand...

"Gini" wrote in message

"whatamess" wrote
Since CPs claim that it costs SO MUCH MORE money to have an additional
child in the home...meals, electricity, insurance, mortgage, etc...How
do they make ends meet once the child support is over, at let's say
18? Do they all of a sudden go hungry or does the CP lose their house
since they can no longer afford the house payment for the additional
child/adult, do they lose their car or insurance since they can no
longer pay the original amount? Or maybe the electric company, the
mortgage company, etc...now lower their bills so they can manage???
Or do they just kick out the 18 year old as soon as the last check
comes in? Or do they make that 18 year old get a job and pay the
equivalent of what the non-custodial parent paid in CS, so that they
all still have a roof over their head, electricity, etc???

==
My husband's ex did nearly all the above even though she had a decent

salary
of her own as a college instructor.
Stepson came to live with us when he turned 18 as his mom kicked him
out--said she
couldn't afford him without CS. He finished school and college here. He

was
only in
10th grade at 18 because he had learning disabilities. He thrived here

and
went on to state university
(here). He's now 27 but has been on his own for several years. I have no
idea how his mother is
doing financially now. The judge did tell her at the last hearing (years
ago) that she was going
to have to learn to live on less money. She had asked the court to

increase
the CS for the remaining child
to the amt we were paying for the two ($1200.mo). Yep--She tried :-)

This brings to mind some questions. A child turns 18 thus becoming a legal
adult. For whatever reason, "child support" is ordered to continue. Can the
court legally prohibit the child from residing with the father? And if the
child lives with the father 100% of the time, does the father still have to
pay money to the mother?