Old August 9th 03, 04:22 PM
Nikki

Default Solids; 4 months vs 6?

Laurie wrote:

That said, things are truly awful here at home while I'm at work. .......

At this point, he freaks out whenever he even sees a fake nipple heading in
his direction. He SCREAMS,
sometimes cries for 2 hours, and this is a normally very mellow baby.

BTDT. I'm sorry this is so hard. I did no pressure introduction of solids
at 4 months for this very reason with Hunter. He'd have nothing to do with
it so it didn't work anyway ;-) My sitter tried a syringe and cup without
much success. She did have luck (about 2 ounces usually) with the platex
bottles and sippy cup nipples. Hunter chewed on the sippy cup nipple and
she squeezed the bag from the outside.

A hungry baby is miserable. If I were you I'd introduce the mildest solids
possible at 4 months to see if he'd take them and get a little in his
stomach. Some babies are stubborn enough not to a take a bottle, period.
In looking back I wish I would have tried formula of all things. He could
drink water out of a cup fine at 6 months but would still refuse to drink
EBM from one. I introduced cows milk at 11 months and he drank that (not
much but he did drink it). He might have taken a bottle if it had something
other then EBM in it. Perhaps he just felt like the EBM came from mom and
nowhere else?

Wishing you luck. It did get better for him at around 6 months even though
he still wasn't eating solids. I'll warn you....he reverce cycled ;-).

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)