Old January 29th 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.parenting.spanking

Default If you want to discuss something I feel is relevant

beccafromlalaland wrote:
We should discuss socioeconomic status as a mitigating factor in the use
of CP. And how to address that issue.

Who is "we?"

Or is that too current and real for you?

Are you addressing me, or the group?

--
beccafromlalaland

I've no problem addressing that issue. The answers are probably far out
of reach for most in this group though. Alan Greenspan does not post
here.

The more immediate and more accessible issues would have the most
immediate impact pun intended on the spanking issue.

I'm not here, though I can't speak for others, say Doan, to idly
distract and misdirect folks.

To me this is a practical matter of mitigating children's daily pain
and fear.

I'd be, when we are through discussing "socioeconomic status," going
back to the more proximate issues.

How to change attitude and long held beliefs seems more important to
me. While that's no easy job, it seems more accessible than how to
change socioeconomic status and hope that that has an effect on
spanking.

I don't think there's an appreciable drop in spanking rates until you
reach very high levels of income.

Now if you wanted to deal with abusive discipline, that could be
factored in with CPS data from the USDHS and you could find
socioeconomic influences.

I think it's time we welcomed discussion on what a law should look like
that bans spanking.

While I disagree with you that a 25 year old study is outdated (we use
the ancient research of others in current science and industry
commonly...take a class in electrical engineering for instance) I do
agree that there is "current" things to look at.

And what could be more current than a new law, either a state law for
each state, or though less my preference, a single federal law.

What should be in such a spanking or CP ban law?

But feel free to explore "socioeconomic status as a mitigating factor
in the use
of CP. And how to address that issue."

If I'm interested I'll be happy to contribute in whatever way I can.

Kane