Old January 10th 06, 04:12 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

Hi,

I have a blood clotting disorder called Factor V Leiden and I'm 35
weeks pregnant. I've been told that, as a precaution, I ought to have
a Heparin injection prior to delivery and then will need to continue to
inject myself for 6 weeks after our baby is born. I have no problem
with this in itself but I have also been told that I should give plenty
of thought (more so than someone without Factor V Leiden) as to whether
or not I will want an epidural. This is because if I'm going to want an
epidural, I must have it administered before my Heparin injection can
be given to me.

Initially, I wanted to avoid an epidural if I possibly could but was
relaxed in the knowledge that I could change my mind if I wanted to.
Now though, I know that once I've had the Heparin injection, I can't
change my mind at all and an epidural will be out of the question.

I cannot make a decision. Does anyone else out there have similar
experience? I would love to know what you did.

Thanks in advance!