Old January 11th 06, 03:41 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

I don't have the disorder you've got; however, I have a severe
intolerance to most stronger pain meds (narcotics, like opiates) and
all general anesthesias I've ever encountered. One dose will have me
so violently ill for days, even weeks, that I'm in the hospital for
dehydration.

Although I always wanted a natural birth, the fear of such a reaction
to an epidural, since no doc could tell me whether the epidural would
have the same effect, made me feel like it wasn't an option no matter
what.

I managed just fine to have a normal birth in a hospital -- and, mind
you, it was a *very* pro-epidural and intervention hospital. Yes, it
hurt. Yes, my double and triple peaking contractions made me wonder
whether I'd make it. But I think that's the interesting thing about
birth -- you get through it because you have to. And looking back, it
wasn't that bad.

Have a little faith in yourself. I know nothing can guarantee you an
intervention-free birth, but I bet you'll surprise yourself if you've
got the right attitude once you're in there.

-Carlye
DD 9-29-04
"Butterball" EDD 6-2-06