Old January 11th 06, 11:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

Personally, I'd feel a little uncomfortable starting heparin during labour.
What is there to gain if you could have your 1st dose immediately after the
baby is born (assuming you are not haemorrhaging!) ?

"Ericka Kammerer" wrote in message
. ..
Peg wrote:

The anaesthetist also said that the epidural catheter shouldn't be taken
OUT within 12 hours of a dose heparin. Apparently it increases the
chances of bleeding into epidural space, which is bad. So I made sure
that I had my 1st post partum heparin shot after the catheter was
removed.

That was one of the things I was wondering about.
It seems to be in conflict with the OP's doctor's advice
that she should *start* heparin *during* labor, and that
it would be okay as long as she got an epidural before
heparin. Somehow, that just doesn't add up to me.

Best wishes,
Ericka