Old January 16th 06, 05:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Factor V Leiden/Clotting Disorder & Epidural

If you haven;t been treated prophylactically up to this point and don't
have an active clot (pulmonary embolism or dvt) then it's stupid to
start treatment now. Might make sense after the birth.

That said, I skipped out on my high risk status entirely and had a very
low tech homebirth with no epidural or heparin in sight (I have FVL but
have had no clots in almost 15 years) and did fine, but I did take a
LOT of precautions.

You need to learn a heck of a lot more about your condition before you
decide--for one thing, last I knew about standard of care, one had to
be off heparin for 24 hours or so before an epidural could be used, so
they'd treat throughout pregnancy, take someone off at 39 weeks,
induce, and then do a c-section if the induction didn't work, then
treat with lovenox (low molecular weight heparin) and/or coumadin
after.

What does your hematologist say?