Old September 8th 06, 10:07 PM posted to alt.support.single-parents
Opal

Default Yikes... Good Idea. Bad Idea.

"xkatx" wrote in message newsNjMg.528$E67.277@clgrps13...

Now my question is...
Should I change rooms around sooner or later? Before or after there's
another baby? I plan to keep the newborn in the room with me in a
basinette - probably the first 2 or so months, anyways, which will bring
me to around Christmas or so.

A is 13 months now. She'll be 15 months when the next one comes. At her
age, will she really care about what room she has? Will she notice a
difference in surroundings or anything like that? Is she old enough to
even understand anything? Would she currently be sensing any stress going
on around lately, and would changing rooms at this point (or soon) add to
anything?

I would do everything in "stages" if it was up to me. "A" is definitely old
enough to notice. Amongst other things, she is likely going to really
resent the new baby. If she loses *HER" room at the same time, it'll
possibly cause more headaches than you really want to deal with.

I would recommend the painting ASAP, then moving A and the new baby's stuff
into the larger room after it has aired out. That way, she gets used to the
new room AND the fact that the baby will be in it too at the same time. If
you move her first, and not move the baby's stuff, then she may feel that
the new room is HERS, and the baby is taking HER space.

Even keeping the new baby in your room for the first little while is, IMHO,
a good idea... One step at a time... A will have time to get used to the new
baby being in the home before she has to deal with the baby being in HER
room, too.

Kelly