Old October 29th 08, 06:35 PM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Default Little girls and hair?

"Kat" wrote:

I was doing DD1's hair this morning... as I do most mornings. She's 3 and
has fairly long hair. I've never cut it, other than her bangs and a minimal
trim when needed.
Today I decided on a french braid. Then I did DD2 - she's 2. Her hair isn't
very long. Just past her shoulders, but she has hair like mine - very fair
and fine. I did a simple pony tail on the top of her head.

snip
Am I one of the few people that does something with their little girl's
hair?

I have trouble with my own hair and have never really known how to do it. My
mom never had her hair cut (always wore it in braids around her head or in a
bun) and so she had no experience with hair dressing to pass on. My hair was
long until I was 12. My mom braided my sister's hair, but didn't braid my hair
although occasionally she would put it in rags to give us Shirley Temple curls.
When I would have a permanent it was a frizzy disaster.

I just never learned how to deal with my hair other than to put it in a knot or
pony tail or to have it really short. I have very fine and somewhat sparse hair
but it does have a wave to it if it is short enough. I do know how to braid,
but not how to do a French braid.

DD#1 and DD#3 were mostly bald until they were past two years old.

Then DD#1 had such curly hair that it is never longer than shoulder length no
matter how long it got. People used to ask me if I'd given her a perm. There
was no point in doing anything with it except keeping it cut because when it got
long it got bushy and it was much easier to manage when it was short. I doubt
if it could have been braided.

DD#2 had straighter hair which would get sun streaked in the summer and people
asked me if I had colored it. Her hair has a nice wave to it and good body
(unlike mine). I used to keep hers short too, but I decided that it made her
mouth look wide and was not attractive so when she got older, I would braid it.

DD#3 had much blonder hair somewhat between DD#1 and DD#2 - not quite as curly
as DD#1 and not as good texture as DD#2. My mother used to call it dandelion
fluff. Didn't do much with it IIRC - just kept if off her face with a barrette
or something.

All the girls had horses and learned to braid manes and tails and dd#2 and dd#3
can do French braids on themselves..

DD#1's daughter has straight hair which she kept in a bob - now her hair is long
enough to braid into a coronet. (She's 26 years old). Her sons have curly hair
like their mom - kind of a waste. The younger one keeps it really short to his
skull. The older one (age 28) has a full beard and since he rarely has his hair
cut and is 6'4+ and weights 250 or more, he looks like a mountain man.

DD#2's daughter's hair is somewhat like DD#3's hair - more curly than her mom's
but not as curly as her other aunt's hair. When her mom braids it, there are
attractive tendrils around her face.. Her son has straight hair which he keeps
cropped short.

DD#3's daughters have hair much like hers - curly so that not much needs to be
done with it except that the little one (who will be three in December) is still
mostly bald or has hair so light that it can't be seen. Her son has curly hair
which he keeps cropped short.

My ds was the only one with straight hair, and I used to give him a military
haircut like his dad's. His son has wavy hair, but during the school year he's
in some kind of ROTC unit and keeps his hair short. He prefers it longer. His
daughter's hair is more or less the same - wavy - and she has it long.

..