Old September 9th 04, 01:39 PM
lm

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 02:05:46 GMT, Cele
wrote:

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 20:46:50 +0100, "denanson" Dennis@Large .ie
wrote:

OK you two, just out of curiosity. How are you both dealing with the other
family relationships. Presumably you two swap Email and chat on the phone
but how do the assorted children build up their respective relationships
with the other adult and other children?

I don't know about anyone else but the 'assorted children' in our
situation are my two, who are 19 and 17, and Paul's, who is 11. My 19
year old has a high school diploma, two years of college, a full time
job and lives her own life away from home. She says she's happy for us
and "it's about time, Mom!" She likes Paul's just fine and thinks he's
a good guy, but she's an adult and not overly an issue. She has 3
cats, and I'm allergic to cats, which she well knows, so there's
little likelihood of her expecting to move back home. ;-) She's going
to Mexico for Christmas with her boyfriend and his family.

My 17 year old is graduating at the end of the year and will have her
high school diploma by the time Paul & co. arrive. She's eager to move
out on her own and get a job for a year before going to college, which
has been her agenda since long before all this. I'm not expecting it
to change but she knows that she'll have a room with us as long as she
wants or needs it. She think's Paul's son is a fabulous kid & is
looking forward to spending more time with him. Claims she's keen on a
younger kid in the mix. Younger than her, that is. :-) We spent a lot
of time together while they were here, of course. In her words, the
whole thing is "groovy."

I'll leave it to Paul to speak WRT his own, if he chooses to.

WRT building relationships, we did a fair whack of that while they
were here, and we're meeting for two weeks over Christmas as well.
Then when they get here in the summer we'll have all the time in the
world to carry on the rest of it.

Are they expected to just slot in with your wishes?

Such an endearing turn of phrase. Does it seem likely that after all
this time of intense microparenting of my injured youngster, including
leaving a job I loved and moving thousands of miles to get her needs
met, that suddenly her needs are of no consequence?

Not trying to throw a dampner here, just curious.

Not to worry. It's not likely to be overly affected by anyone's
questions, I don't think. :-)

WRT the visa stuff, we found alt.visa.us.marriage-based to be
incredibly helpful. There are sure to be Canada-based sites as well.
Good luck to all of you.

Hmmm, that reminds me, I think there's a wedding about to happen down
Ottawa way.... best wishes to Lisa!

lm