Old May 27th 04, 09:00 PM
Jill

Default Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

My baby will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Time flies! Well, she weighed 7lbs
11oz at birth and At her 1-week pediatrician appointment, she weighed 7lbs 2
oz. The doctor said this is normal especially for breastfed babies, to lose
weight and they would like to see her back up to her birth weight at the 2
week appointment. On my receipt where they mark tests and diagnoses etc, I
noticed that the diagnosis section said "Small for number of weeks". And the
paper they gave me had her in the 25% percentile for size, 50% for head
circumference, and 50% for something else, I forget....I'd have to go look.
At the 2 week appointment she had only gained 4 ounces, so was 7lbs 6oz.
Because of this they want me to bring her back tomorrow just to be weighed.

Is this that big of a deal? My neighbor breastfed and she says it almost
sounds like they are watching her to see if I need to supplement. If I have
to bf her every half hour, I will do that before I supplement...she nurses
great and has the appropriate number of diapers, wet and poopy. If what goes
in comes out, her output is good!

I am just wondering if this is normal for them to have you bring your baby
in just to be weighed or if they only do it if they are watching for a
problem? The only thing that concerns me about her is, she nurses VERY well
and has a great latch and I am not having any trouble with my milk supply or
getting her to feed every 2 hours.....but she spits up a lot. It's not a
violent, big vomit, it seems normal- it just comes out. But sometimes she
spits up a good bit. I guess she's just a spitter? I mentioned it to the dr
but she said as long as it wasn't bloody or like vomiting it was normal.

And one mroe question---I am surprised a 7lb 6oz baby at 2 weeks old would
be only in the 25% of others babies as far as size...that is not *that*
small of a baby. ?? It seems pretty average to me, except I know a lot of
people who have fairly large babies, 9 and 10 pounds....but I also know
people who have 6 pound babies. But at 2 weeks old is 7lbs 6oz really
considered that small?

Breastfeeding is going well and I don't think there's even a risk that I
will need to supplement, because the baby IS gaining and she is nice and
full and healthy looking. She has a good appetite and I have never had any
problems with her latch or getting her to eat. In another week or two I plan
to start pumping so I cna get her used to taking an occasional bottle of
expressed milk.

Jill