Old August 10th 03, 09:27 PM
Clisby Williams

Default Solids; 4 months vs 6?

Laurie wrote:

(this was also posted to mkb)

Just to preface this, I have absolutely NO desire to start Christopher on
solids at anytime in the near future. He certainly isn't showing any signs
of readiness, and the thought of him even being close to old enough bums me
out!~ He'll be 4 months old next week!

That said, things are truly awful here at home while I'm at work. He just
won't take a bottle anymore. I've
given up my new supervisor job to go back to my old floor, where I can be
more flexible and work some 4 hour shifts instead of 8 hours shifts. Not
working is unfortunately not an option, but luckily I'm only gone a few
nights a week. Though with 4 hour shifts, it'll end up being 4 nights for
now. At this point, he freaks out whenever he even sees a fake nipple
heading in his direction. He SCREAMS, sometimes cries for 2 hours, and this
is a normally very mellow baby. It's breaking my heart and is terribly
stressful for everyone who's home, most especially for Christopher. I've
asked my hubby about trying a cup or syringe but he says that won't even
work, because by the time he picks Christopher up at 5 pm, he's gotten to
the point where he's already hungry and starts screaming pretty quickly
thereafter, and he'd choke. We're going to try the avent spout this weekend
and see if that helps.

What I'm wondering is exactly why the recommendation has been changed from 4
to 6 months. I know all the reasons for waiting, and the signs of
readiness. As I said, I know that he's not ready now and will NOT push it.
However, 2 more months of this is going to be hell on my family if things
don't get better. I'm wondering if maybe 5 months is a feasible time frame
if he seems to be ready. Has it been found that allergies are more likely
before 6 months, vs say maybe 5? Is it that baby's gut is more ready at 6
months than at 4 or 5? How likely is it that baby will have problems if
food is started a little earlier than 6 months, but well after the former
recommendation of 4 months? Christopher's 4 month appt is next week and
I'll talk to his MD about it then, but was wondering if you all have any
thoughts.

The American Academy of Pediatrics says it's ok to start solids between
4 and 6 months.
It also says babies don't need solid food until they're 6 months old,
but that's a long way
from saying you shouldn't start solids earlier if the baby's ready.

Whether your son is ready to start solids at 4 months is another
question. I offered solids
to my now-7-year-old when she was 4 months old. She wouldn't have
anything to do with them.
I offered solid food to my son at a little past 5 months, and he loved
it. There are physical
signs of readiness, like the baby no longer has a tongue thrust reflex
that makes him spit out
the food. However, some babies just don't like solids so early - I
think that was the case
with my daughter. She was bigger and more physically advanced than my
son at
months, but he was the one who wanted my food.

Clisby

Clisby