Old June 18th 05, 07:22 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Mary wrote:

Have any of you faced a teacher, preschool or otherwise that dressed
inappropriately? Recently, I experienced a situation with "teachers"
(they were actually college students doing a summer intern-job) that
wore low ride, cotton, white, mini skirts, with no slips (do people
still wear slips?). One has a tongue stud. Both wore shirts with their
belly buttons exposed.
It is a delicate situation in that I am related to the owner. I did
say something to the owner, but then let the subject die.
I can say that husband is eager to drive my daughters to the school!

In a previous preschool, the teachers had tattoos, but they covered
them up. I have a tattoo as well, but if I was in a professional
situation, I would cover it up.

Hmm...I'm a little surprised by the responses. I sit on the
board of a preschool. From my perspective, the tongue piercing is
not an issue, as long as it's not being fiddled with all the time.
However, while we do not have a detailed dress code, it doesn't
particularly sound like the above described attire would be acceptable
at our school. We expect the teachers to be in clothes that
they can get down on the floor with the kids, or run and play
with the kids. I don't really see how a mini skirt fits that
bill (as I imagine they're not wearing bloomers ;-) Even college
students helping out in the school would be expected to show up
dressed appropriately--clean, neat, and ready for play. We sometime
have teens or college age folks helping out a bit, and their dress
does tend to be a bit less conservative than the older women
(which is fine), but if you can't sit cross-legged on the floor
or reach your arms over your head without exposing something
you shouldn't, I think our Director would suggest a change of
clothing would be in order.

Best wishes,
Ericka