Old August 21st 05, 03:41 AM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Dave Bazell" wrote:

I have two teenage boys, twins actually, age 14. Over the summer they have
been responsible for cooking dinner for their siblings one a week (each).
Unfortunately this experience has turned into a "how little can I do"
exercise. I am looking for suggestions about how to get them to be more
involved and responsble for some aspects of family life. In terms of
cooking, I have considered asking them to run the "menu" by me over the
weekend, before they cook. But then it becomes more my responsiblity.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dave

You might try two things:

1 - requirements regarding the health of the meal -- that is, it has to
include the proper food groups, and whatever you feel is appropriate
regarding balance of fat/proteins/carbs.

2 - a budget; that will keep them from just doing the more expensive
(and therefore easiest) stuff.

Does this meal include the rest of the family, or just the two of them?
I ask, because if it's just the two of them, I might let it go -- the
only people affected are the two of them, anyway. However, if the meal
is for the entire family, it might be reasonable to set up the schedule
(who is cooking each night), plan the menus (all of them) and go over
them all together once a week, just before the shopping. More work up
front, but it will help them get an idea of what others are thinking
when they're planning meals.

You might also see if you can get them turned on to the food network.
My own kids love watching Alton Brown, and have enjoyed being in the
kitchen more since they started watching that stuff.