Old October 28th 03, 04:21 PM
CC Bailey

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Banty wrote:

And, BTW, there's 180 days of school a year, covering only about 2/3 of a work
day for each day. There's *plenty* of time for that outside school. IMO by far
most of the reasons parents take their kids out of school for 'enrichment' it's
really a matter of parental convenience such as cheaper travel, etc. I can
fully understand why schools are cracking down on some of this.

Our school district had our fall break last week. Tuesday was a half
day, with parent-teacher conferences in the afternoon and evening. On
Wednesday, school was dismissed at 11 am, and there was no school on
Thursday and Friday.

My next door neighbors are really ticked off at the school where their
kids attend. This family went on vacation the week BEFORE fall break
for a trip to the Florida beach. They got back onMonday, kept the kids
home on the Tuesday half-day, and sent them to school for the Wednesday
half-day. They can't understand why the absences are considered
unexcused. They went to Disney and the beach. Nothing educational
what-so-ever. These people don't believe in visiting museums.

BTW, dad took off work the week before and the week of fall break, and
mom is a SAHM. They could have waited a week and then the kids would
only have missed 1 full day and 2 half-days. It's not such a big deal
for the kindergartener and the second-grader, but their oldest daughter
is in middle school now. She missed two tests that she knew about
before they went on the trip, plus several other big assignments. The
parents didn't have her do any of the work before going on their trip.
It's their fault that her grades will be low on her report card.