Old September 19th 06, 05:48 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding,misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Banty

Default Need Advice: Breastfeeding with 3 older (13+) stepson's

In article .com,
says...

Anne Rogers wrote:
).

To the OP, I realise these are not your kids, so I can see you are concerned
about how you are going to explain things to them, but presumably they
either already know about how babies are made, or this pregnancy has raised
questions? If they already know about how babies are made, there are likely
to have some vague awareness of the existance of breastfeeding. I know the
book that I had from fairly young about "how the body works" had conception
on one page, then pregnancy and the next had a picture of women
breastfeeding, chances are they have done something about it at school and
without having gone into any details, they will have some awareness that
that is how mammals feed there young.

I suppose there are two approaches, one is doing it face to face, bring it
up in conversation as a general baby care issue, "have you thought about
what the baby eats?", "where does the babies milk come from?", talk about it
as if it is the most normal thing in the world, because it is!

I don't think this approach would be a great one for most 13 and 16
year olds. They KNOW where babies come from. They also know, on an
intellectual level, that women produce milk in their breasts.

LOL - right. They'd be pretty put off by anything that sounded like The Big
Talk.

If anything, the tack I'd take, if they seemed suprised or gicked out or
anything like that, would be to smile and say something like "Um, you ARE aware
humans are mammals."

Banty