Old February 15th 08, 05:45 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Irrational Number

Default one side or two

wrote:

The problem is that one breast has a slow let-down while the other has
a fast one. The fast one hasn't been an issue up till now, but it's
causing James to gag and splutter and bob on and off the breast during
a feed. I do tilt him up so he is almost on top of the breast to
reduce the slow, but it's tricky at 3am when he's fussing and we are
both cranky. I have been feeding both sides because he never seems to
get enough out of the slow one, no matter how many time I put him
back on it. And he won't sleep unless he's full, so I've been feeding
both sides. I have been starting him on the fast side and then
finishing on the slow, so he drops off. If I finish on the fast side
he's wide awake and refuse to sleep. But now I'm wondering if he's
just not getting enough hindmilk because I am feeding him both sides.
Ds#1 never slept long between feeds so I'm wondering if the hindmilk
issue was the reason why. I did try, as I am with ds#2, to make sure
one side is emptied before I switch, and feeds usually take up to an
hour, but how can I be sure if I am feeding both sides. I do all the
burping and nappy changes to keep him awake mid-boob as he tends to
drift off and just sucks on my nipples which hurts! Still I don't know
if it's the best thing to feed both sides but I can't see any other
way?

You're doing fine. Don't worry too much about the
foremilk/hindmilk thing. As soon as you get a letdown,
baby is getting hindmilk, so I'm sure he's doing fine,
especially if you let him finish on the slow side.

One-hour nursing sessions are normal... Ah, I remember
those days. The 3-week growth spurt for Pillbug, I was
nursing 45 minutes out of every hour for 8 hours
straight! If my mom weren't around, I would have
starved...

-- Anita --