Old February 16th 06, 12:21 AM posted to alt.parenting.spanking,misc.kids

Default The Embry Study: What it actually said.

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, 0:- wrote:

Doan wrote:
On Wed, 15 Feb 2006, 0:- wrote:

Doan wrote:

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006, toto wrote:

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:39:22 -0800, Doan wrote:

"While some may find it strange that reprimands might increase the chances
of a child going into the street, the literature on the experimental
analysis of behavior is replete with examples of how "attention to
inappropriate behavior" increases the chances of more inappropriate
behavior. Thus, suggestions to parents that they talk to or reason with
their children about dashing into the street will likely to have the
opposite impact. Reprimands do not punish unsafe behavior; they reward
it."

Of course that is true. However, you fail to note that spanking also
increases the rate of children going into the street according to
Embry. A little honesty would be nice Doan. Note that most of those
who advocate for non-spanking do not advocate scolding, reprimanding,
or nagging either. I would say that there are much better ways of
keeping children from going into the street (depending on the age of
the child involved, different methods will be used). The most
important part of parenting is catching them being good and giving
them attention when their behavior is appropriate. Stating your rules
in positive terms is also good. "Hold hands near the street:" "Walk
on the sidewalk." "Cross streets at the corner after looking both
ways." All of these are reasonable ways of defining the rules for
children. Then praise them when they do the right thing. It works
much better than punishment *after* the fact anyway. Prevention is
much better than punishment of any kind.

Do you know that the Embry study found no correlation between safe play
concepts and actual safe play for children at this age? So telling
them to "hold hands near the street", "walk on the sidewalk"...etc
is USELESS! So the safest way is to always superive your kids or
keep them the backyard if possible. But again, this study has nothing
to do with spanking/no-spanking!

You going to debate someone that does not have the study to refer to?
Didn't you claim I was trying to do that?

I, on the other hand, OFFERED to provide this study to anyone that asked.
My offer still stand, anyone want a copy of this study, just email me.

R R R ... you going to demand a stamped addressed envelope again, when
it's available electronically....or was that a lie of yours?

It's my choice, right? ;-)

Or were you mistaken about the electronic availability you copied and
pasted?

LOL! Why don't you try to get an electronic copy for everyone? Try it!

Why didn't you offer Aline/Alina the abstract then, Doan? Why didn't you
offer her the access to the library, Doan?

I don't own the library, STUPID!

Doan

If YOU had a copy then you surely knew how to GET THE COPY, did you not?
Yet, here you are, pointing the way to "becca," but demanding an
envelope from Alina/Aline.

Could it be YOU were her and wrote that phony bull**** to me in an
attempt to get a copy from me? Before you had to admit you didn't have
it yourself?

Nothing, Doan the liar? Just your usual bull****?

You be such a funny little boy.

If you weren't so pitiful.

Doan

lyin' then, lyin' now, and you'll keep on lyin.

R R R R R

--
Isn't it interesting that the more honest an author appears to be,
the more like ourselves we think him. And the less so, how very