Old March 27th 06, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy

Default Weirdly Low OGTT Means... What?

Andrea Phillips wrote:

*Terrible: In my case, I mostly feel OK in the morning... until I eat
something. Between 10 and 20 minutes after I eat, I begin to feel
queasy, headachy, foggy of brain, and absolutely STARVING. If I have
another snack,

What are you eating?

I mostly feel OK while I'm eating and then for another
10 or 20 minutes and then I'm back to nauseated and absurdly hungry...
Tends to get progressively worse as the day goes on. I've been trying
to eat lots more protein in the past couple of days on the advice of
some family members, and it seems to help a lot, but I don't know that
avoiding grains and potatoes for the duration is exactly healthy,
either.

Sugars are metabolized really quickly. Starches a little less quickly.
Proteins a little less quickly than that. Fats, even less quickly.
So, the key, when you're hypoglycemic (which I am and it sounds like
you are) is to eat a balance.

This is why if you eat cold cereal for breakfast, you're ready to eat
anything you can get your hands on by 10 am, but if you eat a cheese
omelet, you're not even hungry by lunch.

In your shoes, I would eat a small cheese omelet or scrambled eggs with
cheese, a piece of whole grain toast with butter, a big glass of milk,
and an orange or banana for breakfast (protein - check, starch - check,
sugar - check, fat - check). Then I'd have a midmorning snack of some
cheese and a couple whole grain crackers, and maybe a big glass of
water. Lunch should again balance protein/carbs/fat, but you want to
make sure you get some fiber, too... Leafy greens are good. A big
salad with some meat, cheese, and eggs on it, and a whole wheat roll is
a good option. Afternoon snack of something like cottage cheese and
fruit or veggies with dip. Supper of meat, veg, starch - a chicken
breast, steamed veggies, and a potato with butter and sour cream. A
pre-bed snack may help ward of morning sickness, too.

If you do this type of eating, then as the sugar from the fruit at
breakfast is being used up, the starch from the toast will start being
"burned," then as that's used up, the protein from the eggs is going,
and then as that's used up, the fat is going... Your blood sugar won't
crash because you didn't eat enough to sustain you until your snack.
The midmorning snack will sustain you until lunch - think of it as
waves on the ocean, the first one is sugar, the next is starch, the
next is protein, the next is fat, and you want to ride the crests of
the waves all day long, so that you're always on the peak of one, and
you never get into a trough - the troughs are where you'll get the
yucky symptoms you're describing.

The key to eating this way and not becoming a whale (to continue the
ocean metaphor) like me is portion control! A three egg omelet and a
piece of bread the size of a dinner plate is going to make you fat. A
1 egg omelet and a normal sized piece of bread will keep you in shape.
If you get hungry, try to snack on fruits (be careful, some are loaded
with sugar) and veggies.

It ****es me off that I know all of this intellectually, but I can't
put it into practice long enough to lose weight. Damn the Oreos!

Anyway, eat this way for a week and see if you feel better.

Good luck,
Amy