Old October 10th 03, 01:33 AM
Donna Metler

Default | Teen faces expulsion and felony for loaning girlfriend medicine

"Greg Hanson" wrote in message
om...
The mother of the girl should sue for medical neglect on the part of
the school, for withholding/delaying inhaler in an asthma attack.

The person who committed medical neglect is the one who neglected to provide
the girl with her own inhaler to keep on her person. The school is not
required to provide prescription medication.

And refuse to drop the case.

This sort of case shows why Zero Tolerance is unconstitutional.

The two kids inhalers are interchangeable.

But, the prescriptions are not.

Laws are supposed to be for the protection of the people, not for the
legal convenience of the government to dictate terms to people.

To delay an inhaler only because of some stupid robotic
bureaucratic "Zero Tolerance" construct is reprehensible.

Which is why children who need rescue medication are allowed to keep their
own prescription on hand-not use someone else's.
Next they'll let people DIE rather than give them an
emergency tracheotomy. Neater paperwork.

Much easier to check the boxes on a death certificate
than to argue that Zero Tolerance is stupid.

(Hands in air) "Oh Well, her asthma killed her."

If my child has life threatening athsma, you'd better believe that I'm going
to make sure she has an inhaler on her person, that there's one stored at
the school in the nurse's office, and, if she's in a grade level where she's
with one teacher most of the time, that there's one in the teacher's desk,
labeled for her.

I'm not going to assume there is a child in the next desk who uses the same
prescription-nor would I expect the teacher to whip out my daughters inhaler
and give it to another child.